Monday, April 5, 2010

Dear Megan...I'm sorry.

It has been truly magical five months. We got engaged, making the first of so many wonderful promises to each other. I am so thankful for you, your energy, and all you bring to my life. Which is what makes this is so hard...

You see, fantasy baseball has started again, and I wanted to let you know in this letter that it's not you, it's me. I heard the siren song after my fantasy football seasons, sans fanfare, thudded to an end. I started quietly, in the dark corners of my days, reading a little here and there about the prospects...mulling over keeper selections...going there in my mind's quiet moments.

You must have known.

You know me. And you know this about me, but I can't help but feel guilty that you know that, despite the gift of your lifetime of love, I won't hear a word you're saying when one of my dudes hits a ding-dong. When you're practicing your graduation speech, I'll half listen, because Yovani Gallardo will be going against the Reds, who look pretty good this year (what else is new). And that, your smile will continue to be a goal of mine, but not as high a goal as being the high man in my weekly league where I could win $25 if I play the right dudes.

Oh, my love, my fantasy...how can you challenge my wife in my heart like this? Your numbers, performance, nerdery!!

I am the Jennifer Hudson of fantasy baseball. Okay, that's a bit dramatic. But as I am struck down, I rise to higher heights...last year's 'First to Worst' has inspired me (and hopefully Josh Hamilton and Carlos Quentin, both available in drafts for SO cheap!!) to rage against the dying of the flight. Of the ball. Trying to be literary.

SO, my darling, let's plan a trip for this November. To reconnect. Because sadly, it's going to be a bit of a bitch until then...just saying. I love you dearly. But Go Vurpsharts, The Armo Army, and Face First Cat Eaters!

Waiver wire darlings for week one? WHY THE FRICK NOT?

This dude Tyler Colvin on the Cubbies apparently went Braveheart all over Spring Training this year. Dude hit .468 this, forcing the Cubs to make a roster move to free up space, thus inviting him up to the show. Extra base hits aplenty, this guy should also force a trade of Kosuke Fukudome, or Shin-Soo Choo light...if you're being called Shin-Soo Choo light, you should be traded. He's the 4th outfielder right now, but Soriano's old, Fukudome stinks, and Marlon Byrd has never 'taken' in the bigs. *(Mr. Choo is a bad man, and should be on all rosters this season, if he's out there on the wire, grab him now)

Randy Wells-Another Cub, as a rookie last year the guy posted very respectable stats for a wobbly Cubs team. He won 12 games and had an ERA of 3.05. Struck out just over 100 in 165 innings, which projects favorably over a full season. I remember him having said he's modeled himself after Chris Carpenter, who is obscenely concise, I think he threw a shutout last year in under 90 pitches. The Cubs look good coming out of spring, and the back of their rotation is better than the front end of lower-tier teams.

Edinson Volquez-if you have a DL spot, this guy is rehabbing right now and should be a great stash until he returns, which would likely coincide with your stretch run.

KEEP AN EYE on such dudes as Seth Smith, the fourth OF in Colorado, who is one of those 'strikes out as often as he walks' guys throughout his career, and in 335 AB's last year, went .293-15-55, with an OBP of .378, and 4 SB's. COL's OF is pretty crowded, with former binky Ryan Spillborghs also fighting for time, but keep an eye out there. Flag Seth Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment